NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 August Closer Thread

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Industrialist said:

FWIW Reds radio guy thinks Lorenzen is up next

They handle him differently, he's just gotten back from injury again. Why is everyone running towards the Reds pen? Dylan Floro nailed it down for the Marlins again today, Patton looks good for the Rangers, so does his handcuff Barlow. Devin Williams should get the saves for the Brewers with Hader out. God only knows what will happen in the Reds pen next week when Sims returns and then Antone after him. Just a constant headache, despite that little run from Hembree. I think Givens could handle the job given how it plays out the next few games, but that's as far as I'd be willing to go with this crew.

• Like 2

It’s only fitting that the biggest dumpster fire of a bullpen (Cincinnati) continues it’s dumpster fire ways. I think I might just write it off for the rest of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

They improved the pen, got Wilson and Cessa for nothing from the Yankees just so they could clear a spot and picked up Givens. They're way out in the division and need help to get the WC, they could have done worse.

Not much, he threw too many pitches tonight to get the chance tomorrow, and if Givens closes that one out they'll be co-heads. 

I’m not talking about bullpen help, I’m talking an end of the game stopper..those 2 will help in the pen for sure, but neither can be counted on to close the door 

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

I’m not talking about bullpen help, I’m talking an end of the game stopper..those 2 will help in the pen for sure, but neither can be counted on to close the door 

Right, why would they pay the price for a stopper for a marginal improvement on a longshot wildcard chance? You saw what the cost for Kimbrel was. Cincy can't part with a Madrigal type player. Meanwhile, does anyone want to take a chance on Alex Colome again? Probably more of a roller coaster ride than Hembree, but he's done it before. 

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Right, why would they pay the price for a stopper for a marginal improvement on a longshot wildcard chance? You saw what the cost for Kimbrel was. Cincy can't part with a Madrigal type player. Meanwhile, does anyone want to take a chance on Alex Colome again? Probably more of a roller coaster ride than Hembree, but he's done it before. 

Colome?  Roller coaster ride? Yeah, if roller coasters end in a pit of lava

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Clearly the guy to own in that pen

Agreed, he had a couple so so outings in a row but pitching the 10th to finish his own win was next level 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Agreed, he had a couple so so outings in a row but pitching the 10th to finish his own win was next level 😎

Yes, judging from some of the luck your NL only team in sig has had, you need something to get excited about 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

Clearly the guy to own in that pen

Bednar could have got the win and the save in this one. This is the first time Pittsburgh obtained the lead in the 9th since Rodriguez was traded and they counted on Bednar to keep the tie and finish it off!

Edited by avatoot
spelling

1 minute ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

wisler in for the 7th

:: drops ::

Yep, and whoever gets the 9th today will get added everywhere only to appear in the 6th inning of tomorrow’s game,

35 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yep, and whoever gets the 9th today will get added everywhere only to appear in the 6th inning of tomorrow’s game,

Sherriff only got the 9th today because the M's had a slew of lefties up. ...Probably.

What can I say, Clip got it done, wasn't his sharpest, gave up a one-out double but settled down, he should be a fine option for closer going forward. He hasn't had too many chances at a closing gig with something like 225 career holds to 50 some odd saves,

Before looking up his numbers I honestly thought "Boy, Tyler Clippard's gotta be old" and the depressing realization that followed of course he's just 6 months my senior. WORSE than that-during the 9th inning, Bob Brenly (who I remember listening to as a lad when he was a Cubs announcer) mentioned that DBacks pitcher Tyler Gilbert made his debut in the 8th inning (a solid 2 k scoreless performance.) Evidently Gilbert's favorite pitcher as a kid was Dbacks starter Madison Bumgarner. Great, further confirmation. (Just imagine that rookie saying that to Bumgarner in the clubhouse-he'd probably get his head bitten off.)

12 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Lorenzen with the Reds save today.  Do we think Lorenzen is going to get more chances or more of a one off with Hembree pitching a lot recently? 

Lucas Sims will be back within a week so both pitchers time might be limited 

I’ve spent way too much time analyzing this Reds’ bullpen this season but here’s how I see it:

Lorenzen is the best bet going forward. He’s sitting 96-98 with his 4 seamer, throwing a hard cutter 91-93 with good movement, and he has a decent changeup that should keep lefties honest.

We all knew Hembree was likely to implode and he has 2 major flaws that’ll keep him from being a successful closer - he’s wild and he can’t get lefties out (.394 wOBA on the year).

Givens might be in the mix but we’ve all seen what happens to him in the closer role. 

Sims and Antone are due back soon but they’re both coming off arm injuries and there are very real concerns about what they are without the sticky stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2