NBC Sports EDGE Forums

8/5 - GAME DAY THREAD

1 minute ago, mehtavg2000 said:

what happened?  

Runners on first and third one out, routine grounder to votto, he readies to come home with it (would have definitely got the runner) but the runner stops in the middle of the basepath in what should have been a pickle between third and home. Eugenio just straight up doesn't cover third base, so the runner makes it back safely. The reds scorer scores it as an infield single instead of a fielders choice with no out, and then Sonny completely unravels the rest of the inning.

On a separate note Bryan Reynolds just made an awesome catch to rob Naquin of a homer, dudes a stud player

33 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Had such a great first inning too.  Unstartable at this point.  

I'm not gonna say this is a great outing, but need to keep in mind that Martin Maldonado, the god damn catcher is playing at first and Carlos Correa is out, so Robel Garcia who is a terrible defensive player is starting at short. And then Diaz who is a utility player is at 3rd. Basically...the infield defense is gonna be brutal today (makes even less sense when Valdez is a ground ball pitcher), but Valdez has managed 6 k's so far through 5, with one walk. If he gets one more scoreless inning, it's not the worst performance. Maybe could have saved a run or two if the regular starters were there.

And I do acknowledge he has been overall not very good since July. 

Edited by Bregatron

24 minutes ago, Bregatron said:

I'm not gonna say this is a great outing, but need to keep in mind that Martin Maldonado, the god damn catcher is playing at first and Carlos Correa is out, so Robel Garcia who is a terrible defensive player is starting at short. And then Diaz who is a utility player is at 3rd. Basically...the infield defense is gonna be brutal today (makes even less sense when Valdez is a ground ball pitcher), but Valdez has managed 6 k's so far through 5, with one walk. If he gets one more scoreless inning, it's not the worst performance. Maybe could have saved a run or two if the regular starters were there.

And I do acknowledge he has been overall not very good since July. 

thats dusty

1 hour ago, mks said:

thats dusty

Nothing to do with Dusty and everything to do with the fact Yuli Gurriel is having neck spasms. They're working Alvarez out at first in case Yuli has to go on IL, and Bregman returns soon, so they're just trying to make due, as happens with every team

22 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Nothing to do with Dusty and everything to do with the fact Yuli Gurriel is having neck spasms. They're working Alvarez out at first in case Yuli has to go on IL, and Bregman returns soon, so they're just trying to make due, as happens with every team

I just question whether today was the best day to rest Correa unless Yuli's injury is going to keep him out for the weekend. But it is what it is I guess.

Overall, Framber's day was not back breaking despite that horrendous 2nd inning.

• Like 1