NBC Sports Edge Forums

seeing the writing on the wall

ssmarsh

With 1/3 of the major league season gone by, why can't some fantasy owners see the writing on the wall and admit that their season is over? I'm in a keeper league and the teams at the bottom, who have zero chance of making the money, refuse to see it and start dealing to load up for next year.

When is the earliest you ever packed it in? A few seasons ago I was ravaged by injuries and couldn't recover. Around mid June I knew it was over and started dumping my high salary stars for cheap keepers.

With 1/3 of the major league season gone by, why can't some fantasy owners see the writing on the wall and admit that their season is over? I'm in a keeper league and the teams at the bottom, who have zero chance of making the money, refuse to see it and start dealing to load up for next year.

When is the earliest you ever packed it in? A few seasons ago I was ravaged by injuries and couldn't recover. Around mid June I knew it was over and started dumping my high salary stars for cheap keepers.

The baseball season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. It's entirely possible to climb out of the cellar if you keep a close eye on free agents in your league and who the buy low candidates are. 95% of my disaster team from the beginning of the season is gone and I'm doing pretty well now. I don't expect to be making any money at the end of the season yet, but there's still a lot of baseball left to be played and it doesn't make sense to give up before even June comes along.

The baseball season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. It's entirely possible to climb out of the cellar if you keep a close eye on free agents in your league and who the buy low candidates are. 95% of my disaster team from the beginning of the season is gone and I'm doing pretty well now. I don't expect to be making any money at the end of the season yet, but there's still a lot of baseball left to be played and it doesn't make sense to give up before even June comes along.

This is my first post. I've thought about packing it in, too, with my team languishing between 6th and 9th place in my 12-team keeper league, but I've got a really good offense and a pitching staff that's been wildly inconsistent but has a lot of talent. So I've decided to wait until the All-Star break to make a decision. That's the generic "give-up" point, anyway. Speaking of my team, how do I get it to display under my messages like everyone else seems to have?

Personally I've never considered packing it in, there is always a chance one of your players gets insanely hot and carries your team for a few weeks, ex. Vlad when he carried the Angels and my fantasy team to the finals and his team to the playoffs and won the MVP with that stretch.

It's entirely possible to climb out of the cellar if you keep a close eye on free agents in your league and who the buy low candidates are.

We access the FA list once a MONTH so if you get the injury bug early, like these guys did, it's over before it starts.

Speaking of my team, how do I get it to display under my messages like everyone else seems to have?

Click on My Controls, then Edit Signature.

It's far too early to give up in a non-keeper roto league. Last season, one of my teams hovered around 6th place the 1st half of the season, then claimed 1st place throughout the 2nd half. Never say die.

If you're in a H2H league it really doesn't matter how far you're out of first, it only matters how far you're out of the last playoff spot. Most teams aren't far enough out of the last playoff spot to warrant packing it in this early. In a roto league you definitely don't want to be sitting near the bottom of every category, but for teams with guys like Pujols who have not played up to expectations and are almost certain to go on a white hot streak, things aren't close to over. The way I see it, the teams that are doing poorly can always trade for injured keepers later in the season anyways. There is no reason to give up this early.

Click on My Controls, then Edit Signature.

It's far too early to give up in a non-keeper roto league. Last season, one of my teams hovered around 6th place the 1st half of the season, then claimed 1st place throughout the 2nd half. Never say die.

Thanks. Actually just figured it out! I'm in a keeper roto league and find rebuilding to be fun actually. I've had to do it only twice in my seven years in this league, but the last time (2005) netted me a 2nd-place finish last year (would have been first had I gotten a few more saves). I just can't tell what my team is going to do over the final two-thirds of the season. The top four teams are really good, and there's no point in playing for anything but those spot. I definitely could get quite a haul of young, cheap talent should I choose to give up. But yeah, it is way too early -- especially since my team has been quite hot of late.

Mind if I ask why you don't use those 8 teams?

I honestly don't know. The league was founded in 1989 and only used half the MLB teams back then. Over time, other teams have been added. I don't know why the league doesn't just go ahead and use all of them. It doesn't make any sense, but I roll with the punches.

It is too early to pack it in. One thing that can be done is using hot pitchers against good matchups.

I was in the bottom of my league not that long ago. Gary Sheffield got going. Mark Texiera got going. Mario Rivera will get going. I am now in 2nd place!

From the tone of the replies, I gather that most people are in leagues where their is regular access to free agents. I guess my league is in the minority where the draft is WAY more important than not because besides trades and a few drop/add opportunites during the year, you're pretty much stuck with those guys.

I was 15 games out of a playoff spot in early August last season. I made a bunch of wire moves and trades and wound up making the playoffs and finishing fourth overall. It depends on your league of course, but it's entirely possible to turn it around, especially in late May/early June.

Archived