NBC Sports Edge Forums

trade negotiation etiquette

ssmarsh

Earlier this season I was in trade negotiations with a guy for about a week and just when we had agreed to a deal, he backed out at the last minute. I was a little miffed at the time but it was early in the year so I didn't think much of it. Now yesterday the same owner, who is hopelessly in last place, sent an e-mail to myself and three other teams saying he was breaking off all currently on-going negotiations. I found out by talking to one of the other owners that he thought they had a deal all lined up a few weeks ago and they were waiting for our drop/add day to come around before announcing it (needless to say he was pretty pissed).

Am I right to think this is pretty bush league stuff?

Some people are just too afraid to make a mistake to make any sort of move...after you got jobbed, you deserved to be pissed, but after this last episode, I'd just feel sorry for the poor stiff...

Trade...What is a trade?

I've made one trade all season in all three leagues combined. No one in any of my leagues are willing to deal, it's sorta disappointing because I have bench players that I can't play just wasting away. So I'm screwed this year, but looking forward to Fantasy football in the fall.

Earlier this season I was in trade negotiations with a guy for about a week and just when we had agreed to a deal, he backed out at the last minute. I was a little miffed at the time but it was early in the year so I didn't think much of it. Now yesterday the same owner, who is hopelessly in last place, sent an e-mail to myself and three other teams saying he was breaking off all currently on-going negotiations. I found out by talking to one of the other owners that he thought they had a deal all lined up a few weeks ago and they were waiting for our drop/add day to come around before announcing it (needless to say he was pretty pissed).

Am I right to think this is pretty bush league stuff?

I think it's funny to see the word "Etiquette" in a post about "Fantasy" Baseball. I love this game, but sometimes I wonder if people have lost a little bit of their perspective on "Reality"?!

Totally, though you have to forgive a bit of cold feet. Sometimes you get used to moving a guy but all of a sudden realize you have you compromised too much in your counteroffers (or agreed to a deal without looking at the stats). Though I can't blame someone waiting until free agent pickups are processed. Sometimes you want a guy only if you don't get so-and-so (like I'll take Alan Embree, but only if I don't get Alfonseca) (I'll let the oddity of that concept just hang)

My personal pet peeve is when you have a deal on the table..just waiting for final approval, and then you realize the guy is offering around YOUR players to other guys in the league, and will only pull the trigger if he find a deal he likes for your guys. That is NOT the way to do a 3 way trade!

My personal pet peeve is when you have a deal on the table..just waiting for final approval, and then you realize the guy is offering around YOUR players to other guys in the league, and will only pull the trigger if he find a deal he likes for your guys. That is NOT the way to do a 3 way trade!

Why Not? This is exactly how capitalism operates. You buy at wholesale only when you are completely sure you can make a profit at retail. If you find out you can't make a profit, then you back off buying. If a guy wants to make a trade only if he can get something better in return, that just sounds like smart thinking to me. Essentially, it's cunning, not skill, that wins fantasy baseball leagues.

I don't see a HUGE problem in pulling out of an offer. Sometimes you look in your inbox see a helluva and offer and you're ready to jump on it. Than when you do some numbers crunching you realize maybe it's not as sweet as you first thought. As far as spending a long time in negotiations and when a deal is reached it gets pulled off the table I can see it being anooying and upsetting but it's the managers perogative to cancel the deal. Way I see it is all deals are "tentative" until the accept button is pressed. Perfect example is you have a deal in place for someone, word gets around the league that he is available, the person comes to you and says "that's all you're offering? i will offer you more", you telling me because of "etiquette" you won't take the bigger offer? Of course if you pull a move like that it can cost you negotiations in the future but if it's really worth it, it's a risk you have to take.

Trade...What is a trade?

I've made one trade all season in all three leagues combined. No one in any of my leagues are willing to deal, it's sorta disappointing because I have bench players that I can't play just wasting away. So I'm screwed this year, but looking forward to Fantasy football in the fall.

That sucks. We've had 23 trades in our league so far. I've made 5 of them and only 3 of the 12 teams are yet to make a trade.

I think it's funny to see the word "Etiquette" in a post about "Fantasy" Baseball. I love this game, but sometimes I wonder if people have lost a little bit of their perspective on "Reality"?!

Some Fantasy Baseball players are quickly turning into World of Warcraft players in they way they take the game so seriously.

Some Fantasy Baseball players are quickly turning into World of Warcraft players in they way they take the game so seriously.

Maybe YOU, sir, do not understand that we are doing this for the honor of Ironforge.

Heathen!

Most people just need to come up for some air when it comes to trading, and that goes for both sides of the ledger. Those clowns who never trade need to stop being such hard-a** purists and have some fun. Trade a little. And the people that trade all the time, like myself, well, we need to have more patience and be more respectful of other owners instead of feasting like hawks. It's a game that's meant to be played for fun, and I think a lot of owners forget that.

How can you back out of a trade after agreeing to it? If you offer a trade and it gets accepted the team cant rescind the trade. Are you talking a verbal agreement on a deal? If so that is not a deal. At least I dont consider it a deal. I refuse to negotiate trades with guys by email. If you want to make a deal with me make the offer on the site so that if I accept it is final. I work my trades the same way. I dont email Fred and ask him what he wants for Beltran or Pujols or Rollins. My responsibility to make a trade is to give the guy my best offer for the player(s) I want. If he accepts fine....if he declines fine. Too many owners want to negoiate so than can feel superior if they win a trade on paper.

I suggest when guys approach you with a trade offer you ask them to make it on Yahoo, CBS, ESPN and you will look it over. Otherwise dont waste time on it. We have a guy in our league to considers himself a top trader but he refuses to make a concrete offer. No one will even talk with him now. For example he emails asking for Adam Laroche, Craig Biggio and David Eckstein in exchange for Richie Sexson, Ray Durham and Jack Wilson. By the time he is finished with emails he is still offering Sexson, Durham and Wilson but he now has Pujols, Rollins and Uggla in the deal from your side. Guys like that need to be neutered so they cant reproduce.

I totally agree that fantasy baseball is just that, a fantasy, but even common courtesy should be employed, shouldn't it?

Archived