NBC Sports Edge Forums

Br0kenB's Week 3 Predictions

Br0kenB

Kansas City Chiefs at Atlanta Falcons

- Kansas City is just awful. Plain awful. Against the Falcons, they will start Tyler Thigpen at QB. This is a huge problem. Herm Edwards has already expressed his confidence, or lack thereof, in Thigpen, saying he will not hesitate to put Damon Huard in if Thigpen struggles early. The Chiefs can also not stop the run, which happens to be one of Atlanta's only strengths. Atlanta should win this game by double digits, thanks to a heavy dose of Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood.

Oakland Raiders at Buffalo Bills

- Oakland is having problems. There have been countless reports of Lane Kiffin's imminent firing out by the Bay. Some of the reports even say he wants out just as bad, if not more! The Oakland offense is led by Darren McFadden, who is experiencing an awful case of turf toe, and JaMarcus Russell, who sure does look like a bust after his first few career starts. Buffalo, on the other hand, has looked exceptional. They have a game managing QB in Trent Edwards, two spark plugs in the backfield, and receivers who can make big plays. The defense and special teams are operating at an extremely high level. Buffalo will get up for this game at home and beat the Raiders handily.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Chicago Bears

- Chicago's defense appears to be returning to 2006 form. Aside from the last quarter of last Sunday's bout with the Panthers, they have performed greatly. Add in the fact that Brian Griese is starting for the Bucs and you can foresee some defensive domination by the Bears. The Bucs need to be able to run the ball to even have a chance. While the same can be said for the Bears, I believe the x-factor lies in the special teams. I expect Devin Hester to make some noise, and set the Bear up well. The defense will win this game for Chicago.

Houston Texans at Tennessee Titans

- Houston, coming off of an unexpected bye week, was a trendy pick by many people to get into the AFC Playoffs this season. While their performance in the first game certainly does not bode well for their chances, they get a chance to redeem themselves against the Titans. The Titans have brought back their lock-down defensive unit from years past, and have a new QB in Kerry Collins at the helm. However, I think that the bye week for the Texans, which gave them extra time to prepare and rest, will set them apart in this contest. I expect them to eek out a close win in Tennessee, but watch out for Chris Johnson. That kid will do big things if the Texans let him.

Carolina Panthers at Minnesota Vikings

- Steve Smith returns to the Panthers this week, but so far, it doesn't seem like the Panthers really need him. Following an inspiring performance Week 1 at San Diego, they made a huge comeback win at home last week for Chicago. Now they travel to Minnesota to take on the struggling Vikings, who cannot seem to put together a solid offensive scheme. Led by the foot of Ryan Longwell, the Vikings were within 6 yards of defeating the Colts, but failed to finish. They also bolster one of the league's worst passing defenses. A returning Smitty and Jake Delhomme, who seems to be returning to 2003 form, will give the Vikings fits.

Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots

- Miami is just bad. New England proved they could win with Cassel at the helm as they beat the Jets in New Jersey last weekend. Not much else is to be said about this match-up...it is the lock of the week, and I expect the Patriots to blow this one open early.

Cincinnati Bengals at New York Giants

- What in the world happened to Carson Palmer? From a Top 5 Fantasy QB to the Cincinnati Doghouse. Chad Ocho Cinco and TJ Houshmandzadeh have been almost non-existent this year, and the defense is just atrocious. The Giants, on the other hand, look like the same team from last years playoffs. Eli Manning has all the makings of a competent NFL QB, and Burress is borderline dominant. The defense is playing up to par, and making plays. In New Jersey, I expect the Giants to totally shut down the Bengals, who need a win in the worst way.

Arizona Cardinals at Washington Redskins

- This game might just be the hardest game to pick this week. The Redskins are coming off a great performance versus the Saints last week, winning a pretty close contest in the Nation's Capital. The Cardinals, on the other hand, have everyone thinking this is the year for them. After blowing out the Dolphins last week, they'll take on the 'Skins in what I anticipate to be the Game of the Week. Jason Campbell looks to be finally up to speed with Jim Zorn's offense, and Clinton Portis is once again the workhorse back we have come to love. I believe the Redskin defense can get to Warner and if that happens, I expect lots of typical Warner mistakes. Washington in an upset.

Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49ers

- Has there been a defense worse than the 2008 Lions? None in recent memory. A shell of the team that started so well in 2007, the Lions travel to the Bay area to take on a surprising 49ers team, led by rising star JT O' Sullivan. O' Sullivan was great last week at Seattle, leading his team to a victory with 300+ yards passing and a score. I believe that Martz will exploit his former team's defense this week, and I predict this game to be a shootout, with the Niners prevailing. They have a very underrated defensive unit.

St. Louis Rams at Seattle Seahawks

- Someone has to win this game, right? Two of the worst offenses in the NFL this year meet in this one, and honestly, it should be just a terrible game to watch. Seattle signed 2 bum WRs this week in Koren Robinson and Keary Colbert, and both are slated to start. On the other hand, St. Louis hasn't been able to mount much of anything with an offensive line that couldn't block a man for their lives. I expect the Seattle defense to take this game over completely and win it for the Seattle fans out there. Rest assured, you guys will not finish last in the West.

New Orleans Saints at Denver Broncos

- Denver just put on a clinic versus the Chargers last weekend with returning star Brandon Marshall as the marquee player. Hauling in 18 receptions for 160 yards, Marshall clearly adds an extra dimension to the Bronco offense. He demands double-coverage, and where teams give that, Eddie Royal comes in and takes it apart. Tony Scheffler is also a lethal target, and the Denver rushing attack has been extremely productive. The Saints, on the other hand, haven't really been able to stop much offense this year, and it looks like it may continue. The Saints are without their top target again in Marques Colston, and that isn't good for a game with all the makings of a shoot-out. Unless Reggie Bush takes this game over, Denver wins this game, big.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Philadelphia Eagles

- Philadelphia is a fun team to watch. They blitz, bomb, and run a wide array of plays, all centering around dominant RB Brian Westbrook. Westbrook is jut a dynamic athlete who can win games by himself. Unfortunately, the secondary hasn't quite shown up this year, and that may hinder the Eagles. Ben Roethlisberger ha a bum shoulder, and the presure the Eagles will bring will definitely put stress on him. A big hit and he could be out. Philly has proven they can score, and so has Pittburgh. But with this game being at the Linc, and with the Philly offense finding their stride, the Eagles will pull this one out. Should be an excellent contest.

Jacksonville Jaguars at Indianapolis Colts

- This game used to be the premiere match-up in the NFL. Now it is not much more than a game only regional fans will tune into. Bob Sanders is out, which the Jags would be able to exploit if not for their broken-down offensive line. David Garrard has seemed to lost his form with two extremely uninspiring performances. Meanwhile, in Indianapolis, the Colts are slowly returning to form. Peyton Manning is getting healthier as the weeks pass, and also finding his receivers more consistently. Until the Colts are able to run their trademark stretch run, I don't anticipate any blowouts, but the Jags offense hasn't shown much of anything thusfar, which is why the Colts should take this one down.

Cleveland Browns at Baltimore Ravens

- I don't think there has ever been a player more overrated than Browns QB Derek Anderson. His decline began in the second half of the 2007 season and since around Week 9 or so, he has not been able to regain his form. Braylon Edwards and acquisition Donte Stallworth are banged up, and Jamal Lewis is back in his Baltimore form. That isn't good. The Ravens, led by rookie QB Joe Flacco, are coming off their extremely early bye week and should get up for this one. Ed Reed is healthy and I expect him to be the x-factor. The Ravens defense and three-headed RB committee will win this game for them. Expect chants for Brady Quinn when the Browns return to Cleveland.

Dallas Cowboys at Green Bay Packers

- This game will be good, especially if Aaron Rodgers comes to play. Through two games, although versus the two worst pass defenses in the NFL, Rodgers has looked the part of a Green Bay QB, scoring 5 TDs versus just 1 turnover. The Packers have proven that they can still function without Old #4, but their defense leaves something to be desired. This could be trouble when Tony Romo comes to town. Romo struggles under pressure but is as accurate as anyone, and with a lethal weapon in Terrel Owens running downfield, that could be trouble for the Packers. Ryan Grant is still banged up, and so is Brandon Jackson. Driver and Jennings cannot do them in by themselves. Dallas pulls this one out, thanks in large part to DeMarcus Ware.

New York Jets at San Diego Chargers

- In the last game of the week, Broadway Brett travels to San Diego to take on the San Diego ''We Should Be 2-0!!'' Chargers. This game is a must-win for the Chargers, and with a banged up LT2, Chargers fans are scared. The defense should step up in this one, but I don't think that is going to be enough. Brett Favre seems to shine on Sunday night, and it also helps that he is slowly building a rapport with Laveraneus Coles. I think the Jets just pull this one out. The secondary will need to step up but I think they will put the pressure on Rivers and contain a battered LT2.

Archived