NBC Sports Edge Forums

8-10 Team Leagues

Spina

I mean really, if EVERYONE has Studs at every position than what's the point? It's completely random and takes the skill out of putting together a solid team.

The only reason I finally brought this up is because I couldn't believe I just saw someone in the Asst. Coach section ask if he should pick up Jerricho Cotchery? Seriously?? I mean c'mon, if you need to ask not only yourself but everyone else on a message board that question then you certainly need to find a new league! The guy had 1300yds last year and is playing with not only the Alltime league leager in TDs but this years leader in TDs...do you really have to ask? It not the first time I've seen things like this, its just this one really threw me over the edge.

Sorry to all but it irks me to see people asking questions like the above and the who do I start questions when they have the likes of T.O., Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitz.

In the future ask some more friends to join.

Again, I'm sorry to all that play in those leagues but I had to get it off my chest.

(no need to respond)

i agree if they have standard roster sizes...ie. 1 qb, 2 rb and 3 wr.

same goes for any sport. 12 teams is the minimum! i'm even upset in my league they didnt want to go more roster spots cuz its still not deep enough for my liking.

they arent a joke if you do really deep rosters. i am commish of a 10 team league where the rosters are as follows:

2 QBs, 3 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, K, DEF, 6 bench spots

that's 180 players from the pool, which equates to as many or more players taken from the pool than what would be taken with your traditional 12 player league. this kind of a format allows you to start more players, making more games matter - makes you interested in pretty much every game. in addtion, with more players on each roster, a season ending injury to a top pick does not spell the end of your own fantasy season.

It depends on how many people are actually active. If all 10 guys are active, the FA gets pretty bad. That's how it is in my league and there are a few crap players still on teams for some reason (don't ask me why). Besides, half the guys held on teams in deep leagues won't even touch the starting line up. No need to make a guy decide if they should get LaMont Jordan or Cedric Benson since they have a roster spot.

they arent a joke if you do really deep rosters. i am commish of a 10 team league where the rosters are as follows:

that's 180 players from the pool, which equates to as many or more players taken from the pool than what would be taken with your traditional 12 player league. this kind of a format allows you to start more players, making more games matter - makes you interested in pretty much every game. in addtion, with more players on each roster, a season ending injury to a top pick does not spell the end of your own fantasy season.

yep, we couldn't get our normal 12 to pony up the cash this year do we have only 10 and added 6 bench spots. So now the skill is in finding the right matchups and the WW is just as thin as it would be with 12 players.

and to further my point about why choosing a really deep rostered 10 team league: a lot of times, it's hard enough to find 10 guys who are willing to not only be seriously competitive all year, but also to chip in 50-100 bucks. its better than those 12-16 team leagues, where 3 or 4 teams are completely worthless by week 5.

It depends on how many people are actually active.

Actually active?? One again, time to find a new league and play with some serious players.

No need to make a guy decide if they should get LaMont Jordan or Cedric Benson.

Despite how horrible Cedric Benson is, he got picked up the second it was announced he got signed by the Bungels and guys like LaMont Jordan get drafted in our league.

Again, completely random and no skill to plug and play superstars.

I'll add that it ain't easy to figure out on a weekly basis which Regular Stud to play over a Super Stud with a tougher match-up.

If having access to a bunch of elite players was all that easy then Salary Cap Leagues with shared databases/talent pools would end with everybody in a tie each week.

It's tougher than it looks, guys. No reason to p*ss on somebody else's league. Don't want to answer their Asst. Coach questions? Then don't.

But these sort of "My League Preferences can beat up your League Preferences" Threads are just pretty self-indulgent.

I feel like everyone knows what they are getting into. Some people like smaller leagues with superstars and playing matchups being a larger factor. Other like to scrape the barrell and take pleasure with a guy getting 3 catches and 60 yards as a "waiver wire gem".

This is about having fun, and some people have more fun with less teams.

Also, it's hard to find 12 plus good friends that will stay attentive all year. Finding a core gorup of ten guys is more important to me then haveing 16 teams and 5 dead owners.

Actually active?? One again, time to find a new league and play with some serious players.

Despite how horrible Cedric Benson is, he got picked up the second it was announced he got signed by the Bungels and guys like LaMont Jordan get drafted in our league.

Again, completely random and no skill to plug and play superstars.

I brought that up simply for those in pub leagues. I'm all for deep leagues, but Benson being owned? I'm in a 14 team dynasty with a lot of bench spaces, and he didn't even get picked up...You must like 20 team leagues which is really really deep.

dont take this the wrong way...but that is not deep in my opinion...one more qb and one more rb for 10 teams is only 20 more players then most league setups...

No reason to p*ss on somebody else's league.

In no way was I trying to piss on anyone's league, but it annoys me to see questions like that.

And again, I already apologized in the initial post about coming off in such a way.

You must like 20 team leagues which is really really deep.

Nah, 20 team leagues are just crazy....I've always played in a 16 with the same group of friends. 16 has got to be the max. with 12 being the limit (just my opinion). But I understand, different strokes for different Nick Folks.

I brought that up simply for those in pub leagues. I'm all for deep leagues, but Benson being owned? I'm in a 14 team dynasty with a lot of bench spaces, and he didn't even get picked up...You must like 20 team leagues which is really really deep.

hm in my 16-teamer he was picked up really fast by a guy who is 4-0.

and we dont even have that many bench spots, 6 total and with 6 mandatory IDPs and bye weeks and all it can be hard keeping everyone you like

Heh, I was thinking this... I personally don't like seeing all these guys in 8 team leagues with studs everywhere asking if they should make huge trades. I'm with the rest of you guys where you like to have at least 12 teams in a league. Too few= not near as competitive, and with 20 team leagues, I personally think that's a bit too much unless you have IDP.

I think you have to be careful not to make the league too big.

I mean, there's no fun in rooting for the backup RB to get onto the field and do something and that's not too far off from the truth in some deep leagues.

For me, 12 team leagues are ideal. Just deep enough to have some challenges, but not deep enough where you're owning irrelevant fantasy players.

8 team leagues are too low, I'll agree.

But 10 team leagues can be every bit as fun and strategic as 12-team leagues, especially with deep rosters. I play mostly 12-team leagues but I also play a 10-team league each year and enjoy it a lot.

My league just contracted to 10 teams this season, and it works out pretty good. It's a keeper (max 3) league and everybody seems happy with the change thus far. We're all heavy fantasy baseball players and felt the action in a 12-team league wasn't enough to keep us happy....by shrinking to 10 there is alot more talent in the FA pool and not just one guy every week everybody's racing to get to. An 8-team league would be ridiculous, though. At the same time, anything over 12 can be as well.

Only interested in leagues with at least 12 teams and 240 offensive players drafted (IDP would be additional).

That, to me, is the starting point for deep leagues.

And as long as we are discussing FF roster "jokes," can anyone explain to me why most every FF league rosters and plays Kickers? Even if I can't convince my league to switch to 2 qb 3 wr next year, I will do everything I can to get them to eliminate the K position. Nothing in FF is more arnitrary and luck than Kickers.

And as long as we are discussing FF roster "jokes," can anyone explain to me why most every FF league rosters and plays Kickers? Even if I can't convince my league to switch to 2 qb 3 wr next year, I will do everything I can to get them to eliminate the K position. Nothing in FF is more arnitrary and luck than Kickers.

TE's worse unless you have the top guys.

I'll add that it ain't easy to figure out on a weekly basis which Regular Stud to play over a Super Stud with a tougher match-up.

If having access to a bunch of elite players was all that easy then Salary Cap Leagues with shared databases/talent pools would end with everybody in a tie each week.

It's tougher than it looks, guys. No reason to p*ss on somebody else's league. Don't want to answer their Asst. Coach questions? Then don't.

But these sort of "My League Preferences can beat up your League Preferences" Threads are just pretty self-indulgent.

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm in multiple leagues with different amounts of teams. The 10 team league is the easiest draft. But my 14 team league is extremely easy to manage on a week to week basis. I have clear starters with no real decisions. My 10 team league is tougher to manage week to week when you have Turner and CJohnson and can only start one at RB2.

It's funny you get the same types of post on the baseball boards, as I'm sure you do on the others. For some reason some people need to puff out their chest and proclaim what they do is best. Just like the TE/no TE thread. Just different preferences that cause you to have different strategies. Not better, or harder, just different.

Archived