NBC Sports Edge Forums

8-10 Team Leagues

Spina

TE's worse unless you have the top guys.

I don't love the Te position either, and would prefer to have a WR/Te position. But at least going into the season you can predict who the good TE's will be and decide whether or not you value them enough to use the draft pick it takes to get them. There is some strategy involved.

With Kicker;s there is no way to predict season to seaon or week to week who will be good or have a good game. It's a complete crapshoot.

For some reason some people need to puff out their chest and proclaim what they do is best.

Where did I proclaim what I do is best?

Where did I proclaim what I do is best?

The title of the thread is "8-10 team leagues are a joke." Was I wrong to assume you were implying that you are in 12+ team leagues and they are not a joke (i.e. better)? B)

I looked at this topic earlier and knew it was gonna get some heat. I'm in a ten team. Two actually.

One of them is a 2 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D, 6 Bench. That's a lot of guys.

My opinion? I don't like 1 QB leagues.

Maybe it's just this year. I guarantee you I could've waited till round 12 to get Kurt Warner. Probably 15. If you didn't see that coming and even jump on it was crazy.

With that said I planned to get him and had a complete brainfart. I have the draft board on my apartment wall and it haunts every dinner I ear. B)

Anyway. I just think it's easy to stack up on guys in 1 QB leagues. 2 forces guys to jump on QB's early and lets the WR's and RB's trickle down an extra round or so.

Every pick matters.

10 team leagues are a crapshoot...I have Cutler, Marshall, Lynch, Addai, Gates, Stewart and my team is 2-2. I will score 120 but my opponent will score 130. Last week, my opponent had Greg Jennings who decided to score his first 2 TDs of the season against me.

The title of the thread is "8-10 team leagues are a joke." Was I wrong to assume you were implying that you are in 12+ team leagues and they are not a joke (i.e. better)? B)

No, I guess you weren't wrong to assume (my bad), but by no means am I puffing my chest out when speaking the truth when saying that 8-team league are a joke.

10 team leagues are a crapshoot...I have Cutler, Marshall, Lynch, Addai, Gates, Stewart and my team is 2-2. I will score 120 but my opponent will score 130. Last week, my opponent had Greg Jennings who decided to score his first 2 TDs of the season against me.

Which is why 10 team leagues are tough..gotta start the right people since you're likely to have 1-2 guys on your bench that have good match ups. You can't have people rack up points on the bench.

Which is why 10 team leagues are tough..gotta start the right people since you're likely to have 1-2 guys on your bench that have good match ups. You can't have people rack up points on the bench.

One thing I am starting to do is play a K and DST based on matchups. I picked up Dallas D to face the Bengals and Matt Prater to face TB.

No, I guess you weren't wrong to assume (my bad), but by no means am I puffing my chest out when speaking the truth when saying that 8-team league are a joke.

You can't have it both ways buddy. Making a thread about these leagues "sucking," then rushing in to say "no, no, no I didn't mean to say my league is better" and then followin it up with "speaking the truth when saying that 8-team leagues are a joke" is pretty inconsistent and arrogant. As has been explained to you, deeper leagues are draft-heavy while shallow leagues depend more on getting difficult matchup decisions right. To blanketly say one is right and the other sucks is just dumb.

You can't have it both ways buddy. Making a thread about these leagues "sucking," then rushing in to say "no, no, no I didn't mean to say my league is better" and then followin it up with "speaking the truth when saying that 8-team leagues are a joke" is pretty inconsistent and arrogant. As has been explained to you, deeper leagues are draft-heavy while shallow leagues depend more on getting difficult matchup decisions right. To blanketly say one is right and the other sucks is just dumb.

My flip-flopping is based on understanding the different styles and gameplay of the smaller vs. larger leagues. But again, for me, it seem to be ridiculous to see threads like the "Jerricho available" and the "should I drop a Thomas Jones for a flavor of the week" which is obviously for the smaller leagues. For me it's a joke to see threads with that subject matter.

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,

What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

As a poster stated earlier, it's diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

I have no problem with a 10-team football league at all!

It's just a bunch of my guy friends....nothing wrong with it,

When people start complaining about something like this, thats when the fun is taken out of it.....

i dont really see what the point of this post is. so you dont like leagues with smaller numbers of teams, then dont play in them. no point in putting someone elses league down because you dont like the way it is set up. let everyone else have their fun with the format that they enjoy, and worry about your own league.

Now... I am not even in a league of 8-10 teams. To me, this is just an ignorant topic. I know my league is smaller than any other league (yes, just 6 teams!), but we do start 2QB, 3RB, 4WR, 2D/ST, 1 TE, 1 K. I know that everyone's team is still stacked but there is an element of depth. The best players available on our RB WW are the likes of Chris Perry and Jerious Norwood. WR is still somewhat deep; however, guys like Vincent Jackson and Devery Henderson are unowned.

Yes, I think this league is more fun than any other league Ive been in simply because any trade you make is full of studs and all of the games played are high scoring. (I have played fantasy for over 4 years and played in leagues from 6-20 teams.

PS... In case you were wondering about my RB corps, I drafted SJax at 6 in a snake and got Gore at 7. Then traded Calvin and McNabb for Barber in hopes that Edwards would turn it around.

These forums are roamed by people with a wide range of skill sets and knowledge, beginners, vets, young and old. I like to give guys/gals the benefit of the doubt with some "obvious to me" questions. Its all apart of the community here, you just gotta weed out the "chronic" lazy posters who don't attempt to research and just ignore their questions or tell them "nicely" to do some homework.

League size has no bearing on football knowledge, its personal choice.

These forums are roamed by people with a wide range of skill sets and knowledge, beginners, vets, young and old. I like to give guys/gals the benefit of the doubt with some "obvious to me" questions. Its all apart of the community here, you just gotta weed out the "chronic" lazy posters who don't attempt to research and just ignore their questions or tell them "nicely" to do some homework.

League size has no bearing on football knowledge, its personal choice.

very well said, my friend.

This thread very much reminds me of the "noob" bashing threads on game boards. Some more "experienced" people somehow always feel the need to put down newcomers/less involved guys.

Honestly, everyone should be touting whatever league size they are playing in (and it does seem to be the case).

Since the most important thing is that you are in a league that feels right for YOU.

Although variety can be good as well. I like my 10 team IDP league where I can go find a good FA WR for an injury fill-in, and I also am enjoying my 16 team dynasty league where almost any RB who has seen the field is rostered.

Only interested in leagues with at least 12 teams and 240 offensive players drafted (IDP would be additional).

That, to me, is the starting point for deep leagues.

hey, i agree with you. as many players as possible in my opinion. if you know more than the other guy, then show it buy getting those players at the end that will make the difference. however, try finding a league where all 12-16 members are willing to both A. stay active B. put in $100. that is the difficulty. cheers to anyone who has that on a consistent basis, but i've never been able to find it.

I know this was already mentioned, but I wanted to reiterate it--I find 10 team leagues WAY more difficult.

I have never played in anything smaller than 12 teams before. This year, however, a girl friend of mine asked me to help her with her first fantasy football experience. I was perplexed and dumbfounded every time I would look at her roster and league. I just did not know what to do with her team. E.g. I know when I have Earnest Graham he's a starting RB, but on her team he isn't necessarily. There are really hard decisions to make.

That being said--I hate those decisions. I want to worry about guys in a RBBC or someone's WR2 or even 3. But one it not easier than the other, it's just different decisions to make.

I know this was already mentioned, but I wanted to reiterate it--I find 10 team leagues WAY more difficult.

I have never played in anything smaller than 12 teams before. This year, however, a girl friend of mine asked me to help her with her first fantasy football experience. I was perplexed and dumbfounded every time I would look at her roster and league. I just did not know what to do with her team. E.g. I know when I have Earnest Graham he's a starting RB, but on her team he isn't necessarily. There are really hard decisions to make.

That being said--I hate those decisions. I want to worry about guys in a RBBC or someone's WR2 or even 3. But one it not easier than the other, it's just different decisions to make.

that is why I think in shallow leagues you either have to be lucky or really good at predicting great games.

whereas in deeper leagues there's a bigger emphasis on the draft. however, one or two injuries and you're in a hole.

it could be fun either way, I prefer deeper ones but its really a matter of preference.

I personally think its much more fun drafting desean jackson/eddie royal or chris johnson and gambling 8th/9th round picks on them as opposed to picking em up off the wire when they're doing well during the season.

first timer here, so it seems appropriate to play 10 team casual league, so if I screw up I can pick up someone decent on FA.

I do think larger leagues are more competitive, especially if you have active players, but its usually has more to do with the players in the league then the size. You could have a 12 team league with mickey mouse managers and be less competitive than a 10 team league with very active experienced managers.

I do get annoyed by those leagues where some managers are total idiots and don't know crap and drop players like cotchery, andre johnson, colston, etc because of their situation. That just ruins the league especially when you have a low waiver priority.

I also get annoyed by one poster here (i won't name names), who will ask people on this board if he should pick up stud players off FA, cuz some idiot dropped him and keep bumping the thread till he gets 20 responses to be satisfied. And it comes up like every week. What's the fun of a playing in a league where you beat guys a first timer thinks is an idiot?

I'm in a 10 team league, i completley understand where you are coming from. But injuries and bye weeks are still act like a b**** towards us. I got cotchery and colston and westbrook on my team. In no way has it been easy. And yet, i'm still 4-0...

Archived