NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Bush to SD?

Spina

I was hoping that it would be Fargas out of Oakland but getting atleast one of the Raiders RBs out is nice to hear. Any thoughts on the values of the players involved?

NEVERMIND, my bad....just misread the headline on the main page!

Mods, PLEASE DELETE if possible.

This trade would've been horrible for the Raiders.

Michael Bush has the talent to be a #1 guy. If anything, I would've traded Fargas (who can't go a full season healthy) for a pick and stuck with the lethal Bush/D-Mac combo.

I think everyone is missing the point here. This shows that San Diego doesn't expect to hold onto Sproles next season when he is an unrestricted free agent.

I am going to start sending offers for him in my keeper league....

I think everyone is missing the point here. This shows that San Diego doesn't expect to hold onto Sproles next season when he is an unrestricted free agent.

Either that or they want someone with nice size like Bush to backup LT, who has been hurt alot this season.

I see Bush fitting more of the Turner type mold that SD likes backing up LT. And it is clear that Bush can run like the best of them.

For better or worse though he won't be going anywhere just yet.

I could see SD trying for him again after the season, especially when Al Davis will be looking to change the entire team again.

The guy is not an every down back...

I'm with you here, he was picked in the 15th round in a 15 round draft and if he's going to be moved would be a great keeper!

I'm with you here, he was picked in the 15th round in a 15 round draft and if he's going to be moved would be a great keeper!

Owner said No to my request because he also has LT and wants his handicap. Can not fault him for that. Oh well hope your lucks better then mine!

The guy is not an every down back...

Neither is Michael Turner right? Reggie Bush is not a typical running back either right?

If Sproles becomes the primary back for a team next year he could be dangerous. That's the point. If your in a keeper and can give basically nothing for him right now, it seems like a good investement, aka Turner last year.

Guest ciderjack6

I thought the Chargers should have drafted Michael Bush two years ago anyway.

Gets to recover for his injury for 1 year while Turner plays out his contract in SD.

Then next year Bush takes over Turner's role.

We talking about Sproles or Bush?

I'm talking about Sproles. I just am not sure what team would want him as a feature back...Sure it is fun to watch how fast he can run catching an occasional pass out of the backfield or in the return game...but no team will want him to carry the load in the backfield.

The guy is 5'6" 180 lbs. and looks like a peanut. The only way I could see him as a feature back is if he played like Warrick Dunn but he does not. I love Sproles but I don't think his value will go beyond the return game and as a third down back with limited touches.

The guy is 5'6" 180 lbs. and looks like a peanut. The only way I could see him as a feature back is if he played like Warrick Dunn but he does not.

How does he not play like Dunn? I'm not questioning your knowledge, but I'd like to know the difference in styles for information's sake.

I'm talking about Sproles. I just am not sure what team would want him as a feature back...Sure it is fun to watch how fast he can run catching an occasional pass out of the backfield or in the return game...but no team will want him to carry the load in the backfield.

The guy is 5'6" 180 lbs. and looks like a peanut. The only way I could see him as a feature back is if he played like Warrick Dunn but he does not. I love Sproles but I don't think his value will go beyond the return game and as a third down back with limited touches.

I agree. I don't want to pretend to get into the psych of the Oakland front office but I'm guessing they were asking a premium considering Bush would play in the same division. SD needs to do something. LT can't cut and his backups are suspect. Maybe their more open air game can cover up LT's slightly diminished abilities.

I'm surprised that San Diego waived Marcus Thomas after the preseason. He looked pretty decent during training camp. I guess they thought nobody would claim him and that he could just go to the practice squad.

I thought he had a good combination of size and speed.

I agree. I don't want to pretend to get into the psych of the Oakland front office but I'm guessing they were asking a premium considering Bush would play in the same division. SD needs to do something. LT can't cut and his backups are suspect. Maybe their more open air game can cover up LT's slightly diminished abilities.

According to that report, they were only asking for a 2nd day pick.

I'm glad it didn't happen, as I think Bush is more valuable than that.

When he was splitting time with D-Mac while Fargas was out, he did a great job. He has great feet for a bigger back and he can also lower his shoulders and punish you.

I may be a bit of a homer here, but I think Bush is the best RB the Raiders have. D-Mac has more big play ability, but for an every down back my vote goes to Bush.

How does he not play like Dunn? I'm not questioning your knowledge, but I'd like to know the difference in styles for information's sake.

Here is how I see it.

Sproles relies on his speed and explosiveness to make plays. He can make a small cut while running full speed and make a defender look stupid in the open field. He will be best used in the return game and catching swing passes out of the backfield given his strengths. He hits the whole fast and hard with no hesitation which is a joy to watch. However, his style of running and size will likely prevent him from ever being a feature back. I am sure teams would be interested as him but I don't think any team would ever sign him with the intention of being a feature back.

Warrick Dunn has always been a quick and shifty runner but has much more patience then a guy like Sproles. He runs like a running back whereas Sproles runs more like a return man. Dunn can also grind out tough yardage between the tackles even with his underwhelming size, which is something I would not see Sproles doing given his style of running.

Archived